[Tango-L] Fwd: Pettiness that needs to be broken

El Mundo del Tango mail at elmundodeltango.com
Wed Jun 11 21:22:05 EDT 2008

Thank you Alexis.

So Brick posts my article and says;.

"I thought I'd share it with the list, especially those who object to
followers being compared to non-human things."

 ...What a sorry attempt to prod people into fighting his own battles for
him in his sorry obsession against our studio.

 At least I am glad that more people got a chance to read the article.  I
just hope that they take into context the manner in which it was presented
and read the whole thing before jumping to conclusions.

It is so much easier to destroy than it is to create...

 All the best,
John

INTRO - "FOR THE FOLLOWER"

Last week I wrote about improvisation for the leader, so this week it makes
sense to write about the follower's side of the story.

Sometimes when teaching a follower I find that it is necessary to work on
the "auto-ocho" habit. Like a wild bronco that needs to be broken, these
followers become runaway horses when led forward from the cross. This
phenomenon manifests itself as a series of un-led forward ochos that spiral
out of control. On occasion, I will stand there unmoving as the follower
commits forward ocho after forward ocho while I patiently wait for her to
finish.

Horse trainers have developed techniques for breaking wild horses which
requires the tying up of a bronco to a barn or tree until it is too tired to
fight anymore. I haven't heard of such techniques being used in tango, but
it could be a possible last resort. When a leader is a victim of
"auto-ochos" all he can do is sit there and wait for the follower to finish
and then give her a nice, warm smile.

The reason that these `auto ochos' occur is because the some of us teachers
have not trained our students to follow properly. Unfortunately, ochos are
often learned as patterns and the follower's technique is not addressed in
enough detail.

To make matters worse, bad habits can be learned from leaders. Sometimes
leaders will push the follower and give them the mistaken impression that
pushing is the correct lead. So when a gentleman doesn't push when leading a
forward ocho and uses the correct lead based on turning his upper body and
committing clear weight changes, the follower is sometimes unsure of what
she is supposed to do.

On the other hand, some leaders have a very weak lead. During the execution
of a forward ocho many of these leaders don't rotate their upper body to the
right, so the follower doesn't have enough room to step. In response some
followers can develop a bad habit of forcing their way through the forward
ocho. In this manner they become accustomed to ignoring the lead and dancing
by themselves.

Herein lies the agony of being a follower. The question is. if the man
doesn't lead properly should she help by completing the step for him? My
answer is. NO!!! It is human nature to want to please your partner and
sometimes we feel that it is not unreasonable to give in to the temptation.
Just remember the consequences will lead to bad habits for him and probably
for you.

So lets analyze what it takes to be a good follower.

A woman must give up any attempt to guess what the next step of the dance
will be and live in the present. Her biggest concern should be to determine
which leg is free to step... Please let me explain. When a leader places a
follower's weight on one leg, a good guideline states that the woman
controls her standing leg and the man controls the free leg. The follower
needs her standing leg to keep her up, but she has the ability to give
control of her free leg to the leader.

So whenever the leader puts the follower's weight on one leg (lets say in
this instance the right leg) her other leg (in this case the left) will be
the one that will takes the next step. Therefore in this example, when the
man leads the woman to walk backwards. the first leg to step backwards will
be the free one, the left leg. If he leads her to the side then the first
leg to step to the side will also be the left one. ETC. So the free leg (the
one with no weight) will always be the stepping leg and the follower will
never have to guess which leg to step with. If this concept is understood
then it should really take a load off the follower's mind.

If a follower can stay in the present and focus on these weight changes,
then she can free up her mind so that she has time to focus on musicality
and proper technique. A woman must focus on what is important. These weight
changes are much more important than thinking about whether she is good
enough to follow the leader, or whether or not her stomach is showing
through her dress, or whether or not she knows enough adornos, or whatever.
Just start by focusing on weight changes. Then if you can ignore all the
other voices in your head. you will have time to focus on musicality and
technique.