[Tango-L] women who do auto-ochos

Nussbaum, Martin mnussbau at law.nyc.gov
Wed Jun 11 13:01:39 EDT 2008

Astrid wrote: "The man to who this happens probably also does not know
how to lead ochos with his chest instead of his hand, otherwise he could
easily stop her movement."

Not so simple.  The followers who go on auto pilot ochos are invariably
beginners who do not wish to dance in close embrace, insisting on an
open "student" frame like the one in the class they just took.  In that
open embrace, it is easier for the unskilled follower to ignore the
man's torso.

If I know beforehand, I do not invite followers that can only dance in
open embrace. ( Of course I am not talking here about followers who are
skilled enough to vary from close to open, or are skilled in more
elastic embraces used in nuevo ).   Sometimes I dont know beforehand,
and get stuck.  Only once, in 10 years of dancing, I bailed out early.
I was having a bad night.  Cranky as can be.   I invited an unknown
follow, and at the initial embrace she said "I only dance open."   I
said, "that's a shame, I only dance Tango,"  and we parted ways.