[Tango-L] Marketing or hype?

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Mon Jun 9 22:00:09 EDT 2008

Here are two glorious words that, sadly, never show up in tango
promotions in English:

- Bodacious
- Stupendous

Argentines are not so attached to the truth of the words.  If you are
about to announce a dancing couple that is going to dance a
performance, and you say "Here are the best dancers in the world!",
does it really matter whether it is true or not?  At that one split
second, they might be.  But it does not matter.  Argentines know
that.  They do not hook into every word for its "truth".  It just
needs to sound good.

When a man tells a woman when they dance "Ojos claros! Que divina
hermosa mujer!', should she argue with him because it may not really
be true?  And when a woman tells the man she just danced with that he
is the best dancer she has ever danced with, should he argue because
his left brain might be whispering to him doubts about that?  I hope not!

Nina