[Tango-L] Marketing or hype?

Astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Mon Jun 9 19:22:37 EDT 2008

from what I know, it is a common policy among tango teachers and probably
generally, dance teachers, to inflate their resume by doubling their years
of experience and such. One guy here calls himself "Gavito's former
assistent". I never noticed, Gavito used any assistents... That, together
with promoters doing the hype thing (e.g.: "Saucedo is one of the best
dancers in the world") which will all be believed at face value by ill
informed beginners and intermediates, and those who only know teachers from
their own country (and maybe not even those' true backgrounds...) As we all
know, there is no licensing system for tango teachers, anybody can appoint
himself to be one, just look at Tango-L sometimes. ; )

Janis wrote:
    key words: famous, wonderful, hardcore, great, skilled.   Honestly, I
didn't know he could dance.
    key words: expert, specializes, performed.  The campeonato program
doesn't have her name listed.  Her magazine ads go all the way back to last
November.  She's in Chicago, so how is she presently teaching in BsAs?

     key words: true master.   Mastery dancing like a milonguero?  Where
does she teach and dance in BsAs?