[Tango-L] Milonga - inspiration for the weekend

Michael Figart II michaelfigart at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 6 19:54:44 EDT 2008

Hi Mario and all,
Mario wrote, <<<<Igor Milongando...most instructors
(usa) cannot dance the Milonga..this
 guy can.
  http://mx.youtube.com/watch?v=t8wXbuJ0SYM >>>>>>

OK, I've met Igor, and we sometimes correspond. He's a
good dancer, and I like him. But Mario, this video
you've posted is not a great milonga. Its more like a
sped-up tango with no pauses. Everything is too big
(look at the size of some of the steps!). Everything
is the same speed. There are no traspie steps. It does
not have the look and feel of a milonga except that
they step on every beat, which I don't like anyway,
but some people have the idea that milonga must be
danced that way.
Yes, its a performance, as are all these I've posted
below, which we must take into consideration when we
watch all this stuff. Usually performances are danced
differently than they would be otherwise.
And while there are fewer good dancers and teachers of
milonga (good milonga, in my opinion, is the hardest
of the three genres), the USA does have some teachers
that are very good at it.
While I can pick stuff out of any performance that I
don't care for, these four videos are of US teachers
dancing milonga that showcase the look and feel of
milonga done well. I'm sure there are more, but I
picked these out in 5 minutes (I'd never seen these
videos before today).
I would also like to say that I'm not a great dancer
of milonga....maybe one of these days!

http://mx.youtube.com/watch?v=SxEH_eYzC3M

http://mx.youtube.com/watch?v=zAKBvfg0yq4

http://mx.youtube.com/watch?v=souF9ZZPAjA