[Tango-L] No need to take sides

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 30 14:49:52 EDT 2008

David wrote:

                   "The problem I have is with the bigoted and hateful views that I occasionallyfeel are expressed by one stylistic crowd or the other."

I entirely agree with you that the problem comes with the bigoted and hateful views ....

Over the years  I have noticed that the problem comes from "only" one stylistic crowd  : Those that only dance close embrace miolonguero style.

I have never seen such notes coming from any of the other dancers.

I have to clarify that most of the time I dance Milonguero or Villa Urquiza, I frequently do canyengue, I use some of the Nuevo moves (Volcadas, colgadas, piernadas, soltadas, back boleos, etc) and occasionaly I do an exhibition.

It would be interesting to know the reason for this hateful prejudice to exist. What do you think?

1 - They think that there is only one tango, the one that they happen to dance.  The other styles "are not tango'.

2 - They are told by some instructors and repeat, that if you go to Buenos Aires, Milonguero is the only style you can dance.   This is true in many  milongas downtown.

But ...it is obvious that all the other styles exist as proven by the many videos we have seen, the stage dancing that is going on all the time, the many members of this list that dance other styles, etc.

Somebody must be teaching them. They are being taught in some places. The practicas and milongas in those utilize and dance those other styles.

 Some people go early or very late to the milongas when there is more room to dance, to dance the style that they prefer.  Others organize their own milongas.

3 - They have problems with those that are dancing in their milongas in a different style  than milonguero.  "those people interfere with the line of dance,

disturb the other dancers, they can cause injury with their wide movements.  Well... this is a problem of being a poor dancer, not of a style of tango.

A good dancer, navigates the floor with ease, adjust the length and amplitud of steps and figures to the available space, does not disturbe the other dancers,
does not disrupt the line of dance.

Dance the way you prefer and leave the others in peace.