[Tango-L] Nuevo lead and follow and repressed teaching

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 28 18:26:09 EDT 2008

You haven't seen some of these women dance.  One was an actual danger on the dance floor with this uncontrollable leg that just had to do a sweep at every turn.  But even the experienced guys (including the pickiest guy in our community) still danced with her because she was young and blond.  Thank goodness she went away for the summer.

But that's not my point in this thread.  My point is that when women have the bodywork and technique, then they can be lead into a colgada or volcada without having been taught the step.  However, getting to that point requires a lot of work, but achieving it can enable discoveries that one thinks of as "nuevo" (as opposed to someone giving you directions to create something).  And if these discoveries occur independently in more than one place, then wouldn't this be a suggestion of an organic technique?  I think these discoveries may have occurred years ago but that exploring these techniques were not encouraged.  In fact, they were probably put down because "so-and-so taught that it this way, so this other way must not be right".  Until someone finally came along and said "this is a valid way of doing such-and-such".

What people think of as "nuevo" isn't really entirely new.  Perhaps we should some up with a term other than "nuevo" like "post-nuevo" (sort of  like modern architecture was in the 1940's and then came post-modern).

Trini de Pittsburgh