[Tango-L] Nuevo lead and follow and repressed teaching

Niki Papapetrou niki.papapetrou at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 12:03:48 EDT 2008

from my own personal experience, I stopped taking classes in my home town
because the classes were all about STEPS ('put your left leg here, and then
your right leg there...' ) I could just as easily practice technique in  a
milonga or in my own living room, without the 'pleasure ' of being
manhandled by some guy who was simply trying to get his feet in the right
spot, without it even crossing his, or the instructor's, mind that he
actually needed to learn how to  LEAD.

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 12:33 PM, Astrid <astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp> wrote:

> Jack Dylan wrote:
> If a man is really interested in tango, he's going to dance with women
> who are
> > interested enough to take some classes and are actually learning how to
> dance
> > properly and are not just stumbling around while hanging on to a man's
> neck.
> > But, like I say, maybe I'm just too cynical and I might be completely
> wrong - but
> > I don't think so :)
> I don't think, you are wrong, Jack, I wish you were...
> Reminds me: couple of weeks ago I went to a milonga I do not usually
> attend, and there were some middle aged men I know from other places but
> don't dance with much and they had a young woman at their table... she
> was dressed in a light blue ballroom gown and did not have a clue about
> tango, and they were both fussing over her, taking turns in taking her
> out on the dance floor where she kept wobbling in her shoes and
> stumbling over her own feet, with her toes turned inward  and losing her
> balance at every other step as she did not know how to follow nor seemed
> to know a single tango step.
> I kept wondering what a big ego boost this must be for those guys, who
> probably looked like God's gift to dance to a woman like that, and they
> got their hands on her too...

Yours in dance dementia,
Niki

( http://tangotrails.blogspot.com )