[Tango-L] Nuevo lead and follow and repressed teaching

Astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Mon Jul 28 11:33:33 EDT 2008

Jack Dylan wrote:
If a man is really interested in tango, he's going to dance with women
who are
> interested enough to take some classes and are actually learning how to dance
> properly and are not just stumbling around while hanging on to a man's neck.
> But, like I say, maybe I'm just too cynical and I might be completely wrong - but
> I don't think so :)
I don't think, you are wrong, Jack, I wish you were...
Reminds me: couple of weeks ago I went to a milonga I do not usually
attend, and there were some middle aged men I know from other places but
don't dance with much and they had a young woman at their table... she
was dressed in a light blue ballroom gown and did not have a clue about
tango, and they were both fussing over her, taking turns in taking her
out on the dance floor where she kept wobbling in her shoes and
stumbling over her own feet, with her toes turned inward  and losing her
balance at every other step as she did not know how to follow nor seemed
to know a single tango step.
I kept wondering what a big ego boost this must be for those guys, who
probably looked like God's gift to dance to a woman like that, and they
got their hands on her too...