[Tango-L] Nuevo Figures

David Thorn thorn-inside at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 25 13:22:00 EDT 2008

Jack:

To clarify a little, I was trying to illustrate that the volcada figure is really made up of a number of very small
elements that can be rearranged so that the result does not resemble a volcada.  I have come to believe
that the essence of Nuevo is tiny elements, each no larger than a single walking step, that can be rearranged to serve
the music, just as is the case with individual steps in close embrace style dancing, but with additional elements not
commonly found in close embrace dancers, or at least with the elements used in different ways.

To illustrate, I might (and in fact last night did) lead the following:
1.  Place my partner on her right foot with, say, a back boleo.
2.  Support my partner and take her off-axis towards me (ah-ha.  I think it might be a volcada!).
3.  As I do so, lead her to sweep her free leg (left) clockwise (see, I told you it was a volcada)
4.  Now lead her to stop the sweep after only say 90 degrees. (Huhh?? Isn't that wrong)
5.  Step into her so that she is back on her axis and do a side-step to my right (That is soooo wrong)
We have just executed a left side step, albeit a rather uncommon one.

One can take the nuevo elements that comprise the volcada figure (a teaching artifice, NOT to be confused with actual
dancing) and create many, many responses to the music that do not resemble a volcada.  That was the point that I
was attempting to make.  So yes, nuevo uses many figures in the teaching process, as does most Tango
- think D8CB, or ocho-cortada.  But, as has been pointed out repeatedly on this list, the D8CB should not be confused
with dancing.

Cheers

David