[Tango-L] Different feeling in tango

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Thu Jul 24 20:01:46 EDT 2008

Noticing the anatomical differences between genders is how
3-year-olds learn that mommy and daddy are different.  One might
expect grown men and women to embrace their (and others') gender in a
more sphisticated way.  But then, in tango, you never know...:)

The key words in Myk's post are "playing a role".  Real dancers do
not play a role.  They dance who they are.  If a woman can't quite
figure out the power of her gender, she is in trouble, just as a man
swimming in feminine energy.

C.G. Jung wrote extensively on anima and animus, and the power forces
in people's psyche that demand the fusion to happen when people are
in their late 30s or so.

Why is it that the Argentines have no issues with gender roles?  They
dance as men and women, and, if those roles don't work, they go to
some milonga gay.  But they certainly do not try to justify
abandoning traditional gender roles in the traditional milongas.  The
Westerners seem to want to dance at the milonga gay, but refuse to
call it that , insisting on calling it Argentine tango, acceptable
social tango and want not. :)

Actually, I am not against tango in energetic gender drag.  I just
want to know when and where it is happening, so that I can be prepared. :)

Nina