[Tango-L] (no subject)

David Thorn thorn-inside at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 24 12:02:06 EDT 2008

Jack Dylan wrote
>  It appears that Nuevo is more figure-oriented.
>  Do you disagree with that?

Actually, and perhaps surprisingly to some on this list, I do disagree strongly.
I'll pick a two very simple examples. A volcada and a quick coldaga.

In the volcada, every aspect is led and can be modified or reversed at absolutely
any point in the "figure".  I can easily lead my follow to sweep large or small radius, lead her leg to stop prior to
reaching my position and go back, lead her leg to stop in a (leaning) crusada position with or without a weight change,
lead her to sweep her leg so that it stops near me and then convert the volcada into a front step, etc. ad infinitum.

Quick Colgada: Say I lead a back ocho and step into my follow, placing one of my feet against 1/2 of her just landed foot and take her off axis (but supported) at the same time.  I now have about a billion things I could lead from that position ranging from simply righting her and stepping out, to pivoting her in an outward leaning embrace, with all sorts of stuff in between.

Thus every Neuvo element (not figure!) can, and should be, used to help interpret the music.  Yes, figures do get used as learning tools, but that should not be confused with dancing.

Honestly, I know no figures bigger than an ocho, a front step, a side step, a tip of my partner off axis, etc.  I can dance an entire song, lead things I've never lead before, repeat nothing (except perhaps for a few of those pesky walking steps in between stopping to cause a traffic jam).  I am also not even remotely unique in the world of leads
who are, or are trying to learn to be (this be me), decent Nuevo leads who listen to and interpret the music,
just as do dancers of all stripe.

Cheers

D. David Thorn