[Tango-L] The language of Tango

Jack Dylan jackdylan007 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 24 01:43:07 EDT 2008

Larry,
As others have said - nice post; I also like the 'tango is a house of many
rooms' analogy.
The people who built this house, and their successors, the current guardians,
are wonderful, generous people and they allow me to use the house whenever
I want. They even allow me to take it to other countries and to show it to other
people who can then also use the house, even though they might never have
seen it in its original setting.
But what I'm always very mindful of is that this is not MY house and it's
incumbent on me to respect it and to take care of it at all times. Personally,
I don't feel that I have the right to change it.. I can't say for example that the
house is very plain so I think I'll add-on a few balconies. Or, the house is only
3-storeys, not enough for me so I'll just add another storey. Or, in my country
we eat in the kitchen so I'll change the kitchen to a dining room. Or, this room
is too small so I'll knock down a couple of walls to make the room bigger. Apart
from being disrespectful to the house and the guardians of the house, the result
could be that the house might collapse.
Yes, the house has many rooms but the number is not inifinite and if some
people have different needs, desires and abilities, which are not satisfied by
this house, then IMHO, they should find another house rather than trying to
change this house.
Btw, I love Salon, Milonguero, Nuevo and Show Tango and there is plenty of
room in the house for many styles of tango. But there has to be limits.
Jack