[Tango-L] Different feeling in tango

Dubravko Kakarigi dubravko_2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 23 20:11:21 EDT 2008

----- Original Message ----
From: Sergio Vandekier <sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com>
To: Tango-L List <tango-l at mit.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 9:52:21 AM
Subject: [Tango-L] Different feeling in tango

> Jack says:  "Don't we talk a lot about the feeling of tango.
> I know
it's very important to me [understatement!] and the
> feeling I have when
I watch a man and a woman is completely
> different to when I watch a man
and a man. They can both
> be fabulous and very enjoyable, but different."

Here's perhaps another angle of looking at the questions of feeling in tango. I mentioned before that I have recently learned how to really enjoy dancing as a "follower." After some thinking about it (because all of this discussion has actually inspired me to do that) I have some clues as to what's going on.

It seems to me that, in general, part of my attraction to tango is due to the fact that it allows me to express my sensuality safely. I think that in dancing as a follower I have allowed myself to let my feminine side express its own sensuality. I am rather enjoying the opportunities to express the feeling of beauty from a softer, warmer side of life. I am not sure I know how to explain this well, I am just exploring this whole idea as I write.

I can tell that the man I often practice with (most often together with our female partners), when he follows, he does not allow himself that same feminine, expressive avenue. He still dances with masculine expressiveness being dominant which feels totally different to me then dancing with a woman -- it feels more like sparring. However, when we exchange roles, I let go of my masculine side and let the feminine flourish. Quite a nice feeling. And that has nothing to do with the fact I am dancing with a man.

On the other hand, one of my female partners often likes to practice leading with me. I can tell that she does "all the right moves" but her energy is still predominantly feminine. Nothing wrong with that per se, but it is quite different.

I am not a bisexual man by any means, but am a firm believer that each one of us has those two components in us and have learned to enjoy my own feminine in tango dance as much as I do my masculine. Does that make any sense?

Is it still tango? I will let "the authorities" decide on that. I know that when there are opportunities for me to dance with women in traditional roles, I will take them. If there aren't, I will welcome an opportunity to dance as a follower with a good leader regardless of the gender of the leader. If there is masculine energy present so much the better because it is complementary to the feminine which makes the whole experience more complete and enjoyable.

...dubravko