[Tango-L] Dancing socially to Piazzolla

Joe Grohens joe.grohens at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 19:05:52 EDT 2008

David Thorn wrote:
> It is one thing to say that I don't like to dance to Piazzolla, or I
> can't dance to Piazzolla, or that I have never heard Piazzolla
> played at a Milonga in BsAs, or even to say "of course I can but why
> in the world would I ever want to?". It is an entirely different
> thing, and I think incorrect, to say that Piazzolla is not socially
> danceable.

Fair enough.

Maybe you would agree, David, that Piazzolla's music is not well
suited to the dance abilities and preferences of a very high majority
of tango dancers?

So, to play Piazzolla's music (whether as a DJ or as a perorming
musician) for such dancers is to show that you are ignorant of
dancer's abilities and preferences, or you want to challenge them.

If I were hired to play for a milonga and if much more than one or two
pieces were by Piazzolla, I would consider that I'd be making it just
damned difficult for most of the dancers present to dance well and
enjoy themselves.

Except for the few theatrical/experimental/athletic types in attendance.

I guess you could have a milonga where everyone is expecting to dance
to Piazzolla. But even alternative milongas normally do not feature
Piazzolla, he is that difficult.