[Tango-L] Tango Caricature

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 22 14:24:58 EDT 2008

Deby says:

"Macana is lunfardo for those of you who do not speak it means: lie,
mistake, error. Sooooo for those of you trying to bolster your argument
of gender bender dancing using the Brothers Macana, now you know where
the name Macana comes from. Un nombre re-creativo as we would say here."

Jack answers:

"Thank you Deby; that is indeed very interesting. I always had the
impression that the brothers were dancing a caricature of tango
and, from their name, it now seems that that is their intention.
It's unfortunate that others, such as Miguel y Augusto, appear
to be so deadly serious while dancing their brilliant caricatures.
But maybe the joke's on us :-)
Jack"

It seems that the Joke is US.

Hermanos Macana   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-mkR-KoPts

Capussi Flores       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV6Fgptthy4

Serious dancers    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV6Fgptthy4

Javier Rodriguez Andrea Misse http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTCbSGslyRY

Stage Tango Students  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukZq-T-j464

Caricature

A picture, description, etc., ludicrously exaggerating the peculiarities or defects of persons or things: His caricature of the mayor in this morning's paper is the best he's ever drawn.

Stage tango is a tango style, it is not for social dancing although social dancers may use some of its elements for that purpose.

There are competitions all over the world in stage tango and salon tango.

It is used for Musical shows or for exhibitiions.  It may have different purposes:  It could be hilarious, very funny, very serious,

generally speaking could have a story. It may have only one couple dancing or be a musical with many actors such as "Tango Argentino".

Argentine Tango became popular again, all over the world due to Stage Tango. Starting with Tango Argentino.

I offer some examples : 1 Hermanos Macana, IMO, excellent tango dancers, try to be funny with great success, but they do not dance a caricature of tango.

2 - Capussi Flores are from the theatrical school, they are hilarious, very funny, are they a caricature of tango? maybe.

3 - Serious dancers - IMO not a caricature of tango

4 - Stage tango students, dancing a vals, the presentation has a story, not a caricature.

Best regards, Sergio