[Tango-L] The real, true, AUTHENTIC Argentine tango

larrynla@juno.com larrynla at juno.com
Mon Jul 21 20:51:56 EDT 2008

Every few weeks, it seems, a brawl takes place in this and other like
forums over what is REAL Argentine tango.

You will never see such over what real British tango is, except maybe
its name.  The Imperial Society of Teachers of Dance about a century
ago renamed it International tango to make it more popular.  More
recently the ISTD and its less offensively named cohorts have also
named it Standard and (most recently) DanceSport tango.  British tango
is what you see on "Dancing with the Stars" (a spin-off of the Brit
series "Strictly Come Dancing").  And British tango is what you will see
in the Olympics when the ISTD and its fellows get ballroom dancing made
an official Olympic sport.

There is no argument about what is TRUE BritTango because there is a
book that defines it in so much detail that you could almost program
robots to do it.  This situation was the background to the first
feature film directed by Baz Luhrman (of "Moulin Rouge" fame).  It was
titled "Strictly Ballroom" and was especially hilarious to anyone who
knows the International Ballroom world because it had so little
exaggeration.

And every few weeks we see people in this and other like forums who
seem as if they would be happy to imitate the British model - if only
their idea of Argentine tango were declared the only real, true,
AUTHENTIC Argentine tango.  There are even some Argentine tango
teachers who sell collections of tapes and DVDs separated into bronze,
silver, and gold levels just as the International world does each of
their dances.

The tango police most recently have declared that it is only REAL tango
if a woman and a man dance it - but only if the man is the leader and
the woman the follower.  At other times they declare that nuevo tango
(whatever the heck that is) is not REAL tango.  Some people say only if
you dance body-to-body are you doing TRUE Argentine tango.  Others
deride this as vulgar "belly-bumping" and inelegant.  A milonguero,
they say, is some street trash who drives a taxi or works as a janitor
or short-order cook - if they even have a job.  This view of the
milonguero, incidentally, is not an unusual attitude of Argentines of
older generations.

And, of course, that favorite of clueless journalists looking for a
sound bite - tango is SEXY!  A "vertical expression of a horizontal
desire" sounds so, so, ARGENTINE!  And they haul out the myth that
tango was invented in brothels.

So what is the real nature of the Argentine tango?  Maybe its
flexibility, the difficulty of  defining it in some hard-and-fast way,
is part of the answer.  It is like a good outfit which is high-quality
but also easily tailored to our own body and needs and abilities - and
each of us is the tailor.

Which would explain why there are so many angry arguments over tango's
true nature.  Because each of us creates a version that satisfies our
deepest needs, a version that is a reflection of our true selves.  Thus
anyone else who wants us to change our tango to match their version
seems to be attacking us on our deepest levels rather than "correcting"
superficial matters.

So maybe those of us who stand back and watch these battles over what
is real tango with amusement should be grateful for them instead.
Because when they quit tango will have died and been replaced with
an embalmed corpse.

Larry de Los Angeles