[Tango-L] How do yoou know it is tango

larrynla@juno.com larrynla at juno.com
Mon Jul 21 18:01:44 EDT 2008

Thanks, Sergio, for a very wise and clear answer to the question.  I agree with you that tango comes in many forms, and that doing one style does not mean you are somehow desecrating tango.

Nor does it mean you cannot do other tango styles.  In particular, I have noticed that tango stage professionals usually do very little show moves when they dance socially.  Sometime they almost go to the other extreme, doing little more than walking but VERY smoothly and elegantly, in clear connection with the music, and each other.

Which reminds of what famous milonguero Pupi Costello is supposed to have said - "Figures are easy; walking is hard."

Larry de Los Angeles