[Tango-L] "Would you like to lead or follow?"

Leonardo Kunkello leonardok at mac.com
Sat Jul 19 12:41:35 EDT 2008

In my experience. There seems to be some advantage that adds to a
guys technique to be able to follow.

On the other hand I have not seen an advantage for a lady to try to
learn to lead. I have only danced with a few ladies who lead who were
able to effectively switch gears between being a leader and a
follower. They all happened to be advanced dancers.

A pleasant tango must have good communication. To be a good follower
a lady must be "listening" for the lead. Women are multitaskers,
maybe this causes leading women to seem to be split between
"listening" to the lead and thinking or feeling what they would be
leading. And as such the connection is just not there as with women
who only follow.

If I see a woman leading at a milonga, she automatically goes to the
bottom of my list for potential partners. There are a lot of ladies
to dance with and those that also lead have proven for the most part
not be the most enjoyable and connected of partners. This might be
unfair to some but I play the odds and go were I feel the best
connections are going to be.

Oh yea, if a lady asked me, lead or follow? My comment would be, you
have got to be kidding!!

Be blessed,
Leonardo K