[Tango-L] Changes of direction

Jay Rabe jayrabe at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 4 16:03:32 EDT 2008

IL,

I guess it's valid to think of it that way, but I prefer to think we shouldn't trivialize the specialness of changes of direction by calling them "rock steps." IMO there is a nice element of surprise in those changes of direction in the list, that gives an interesting dance to the follower.

But in any case, I'm still waiting for an answer/description to the pivot question. If I lead my follower to take a R back ocho, and I've stopped her momentum and then bring her forward (without collecting) into a L Fwd ocho, then we've changed directions (or rocked, or checked) but while I may then pivot her CCW and lead her to a R open step around me, that pivot is a part of the open step and not a necessary thing for the change of direction. As an example, instead of leading her to open and turn around me, I could change weight and open in mirror to her, and the whole thing would be completely linear.

           :-)