[Tango-L] On dancing to not-tango music (was Kizomba)

Oleh Kovalchuke tangospring at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 12:42:49 EST 2008

On Jan 31, 2008 7:00 AM, Tango Society of Central Illinois
> If it hasn't already happened, this could spark a new trend at
> Alternative 'Milongas'.

Music inspires and defines the dance.

If DJ were to play a kizomba in a dance hall (at "milonga"???) I would
be delighted
to watch people dancing kizomba. As far as I can see it is a graceful dance,
which fits that particular music well.

When polka is played in a dance hall, dance polka (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiClaM8gMto )
– if you were to try to dance tango to polka music, no one would try
to stop you (I think), but, frankly,
you would look silly.

And of course, if the DJ were to play AC/DC people could dance the
'Rock'n roll is not pollution'
dance ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OplUFeukicY ). Again I would
watch, and if the fit is good, might even admire the style, but rather
dance tango, as someone on this list keeps saying.

--
Oleh Kovalchuke
http://www.tangospring.com/