[Tango-L] Victor, chicho, the real tango, practica X

Tango For Her tangopeer at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 28 14:13:41 EST 2008

It isn't really close embrace.  He has to leave enough
room to use their legs as they do.

I took one of his seminars about 9 years ago in
Amsterdam.  I could almost say that I have never been
so close to a woman that I will never see, again!  I
partnered with someone from the Netherlands.  Our legs
became as one!

I did fairly well in the seminar.  But, most people
didn't do so well.  A teacher, from BsAs, told me that
the reason that he can do those moves well and most
guys can't is because, typically, only women can stand
with their heels together and their toes pointed
180-degrees apart.  So, don't be hard on yourself if
you have difficulty.

One thing to note, as you should note when leading any
sacadas.  I am generalizing, and can't think of any
cases where this is not true.  I am sure someone will
think of one.  Anyway, notice that he points his toe
in the direction that he wants to be facing during the
NEXT step of the sequence.

You will notice that that leaves him room to slide
(so-to-speak) his other foot through and it leaves him
lined up for his next movement.

Also, note the places where his knees are tighter
together above her knees and for how long.  He is not
squeezing.  It's just part of the signalling process
as she is aware of where he is in relation to her.

Chicho likes to have fun in his workshops.  I remember
him asking for 3 volunteer couples to try and hit him
during a song.  I volunteered and immediately walked
my partner toward him, cornering him, swiveled, and
touched my back against his.  That was pretty cool,
because I was a bit of a newbie and there are some
excellent dancers over there!  I guess he was hoping
to illustrate that he could out-navigate anyone.
Oops!  :o)