[Tango-L] Creating a strong connection

Keith keith at tangohk.com
Thu Jan 24 00:05:36 EST 2008

On Thu Jan 24  9:07 , "Michael"  sent:

>Virginia:
>Connection is not something that can be taught.

I don't really know what Michael means here but I'm a simple, straightforward kinda guy and I'm
going to assume it means what the words say - "Connection is not something that can be taught".
In that case, I'm sorry, but I have to disagree and I honestly have to wonder why anyone would
say this. Virginia comes to Tango-L seeking advice on how to improve her connection with her
partner and this is Michael's negative response.

IMHO, connection is EVERYTHING in Tango and it should be the very first thing taught in a
couple's very first Tango lesson. For example - the lady puts her hands on the man's chest and
the man walks forward leading the lady to walk backward. They're not learning steps - they're
only walking. What they're starting to learn is how to make a connection.

And, no matter how many years you learn Tango or how good you may get to be or how many
fantastic figures you manage to learn,  IMHO connection will always be the most important thing.
Can you teach connection to everyone - probably not. But that's only because not everyone can
learn how to dance Tango.

I assume Michael means something else, but in the context of learning and dancing Tango,
I hope we all know what ... 'making a connection' means - and it depends on technique,
feeling, practice and awareness, not chemistry. That's something entirely different and I would
agree that the right chemistry between a couple can raise the Tango to completely new heights
and this is something that cannot be taught. The chemistry either exists or it doesn't. Although,
I have to say - many stage performers, and even social dancers, learn how to fake it  :-).

Keith, HK