[Tango-L] Creating a strong connection

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Wed Jan 23 20:07:39 EST 2008

Virginia:
Connection is not something that can be taught. That's like teaching somebody to savor a particular wine. Either you like the wine or you don't. Connection is a chemistry between partners. Chemistry isn't always present with every partner. This where the expression "it takes two to tango" comes from, IMHO. Each partner has to be comfortable within before there can be chemistry with somebody else. As my former teacher, Joe, said "We have to be able to embrace ourselves before we can embrace others." Dancing in close embrace doesn't guarantee chemistry. I don't understand how there can be chemistry without close embrace.

Frankly, close embrace can be absolutely frightening for beginners. It takes time to get used to it. I suggest you tell your partner not to concentrate on the latest figure taught in class or a private lesson, and just concentrate on you. You shouldn't concentrate on boleos, just concentrate on your partner. Practice to Di Sarli. His music is slow and emotional. Here is an example of my favorite "El Jaguel"  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2aSbUNNO1A

The couple did virtually NOTHING. (Yeah, a few valcaldas were slipped in.) Nothing was rushed. DiSarli knows how to pull on my heart. Just listen to the opening chords. They sound like the Greek Sirens calling out to sailors to crash their boats on the rocks.

Connection is a combination of partner and music.

Michael
I'd rather be dancing Argentine Tango