[Tango-L] Creating a strong connection

Tango For Her tangopeer at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 13:59:17 EST 2008

--- Virginia Nicholson <ginnynicholson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> This is my first posting to the tango L-list so be
> nice!
>
> I have a question...I'm a follower and I've been
> dancing for about two
> years. I've been practicing with a steady partner,
> but I still go to
> milongas and dance with other people, so I can tell
> that my partner
> and I lack the deep connection that I sometimes
> experience with my
> favorite leaders, that sense of a silent
> conversation. My partner has
> good balance and posture and has been dancing for a
> long time, though
> mostly in open embrace...now we're trying a mix of
> open and close. I'm
> not sure what's wrong. It's good - just not great.
> Do any of you
> leaders have any advice? or suggestions for how a to
> strengthen the
> connection? I apologize for covering what must be
> well-worn ground.

ANYONE WRITING FOR THE FIRST TIME:

Don't worry about the "experts" on here trashing you
if you ask a question.  They only desire to trash each
other.  I sure wish this list could be more
constructive.  One way to accomplish that is for
everyone out there to keep them busy with new
questions.  PLEASE!

Virginia,

I have a couple of answers to your question.

If the two of you are close enough that you can be
honest, then, suggest a series of close embrace
private lessons working on slow, deliberate movements,
like just walking to the cross.  If you can find a
very good teacher, she will correct the smallest of
connection details.

You could also suggest taking a dance, once in a
while, to just walk in close embrace.  Let the focus
be on the connection.  He should be concentrating on
removing any jolt from each backstep of yours.  It's
like what I described in an earlier post about walking
like a cat.  He should put all of his energy into
feeling the movement all the way through the step.  He
will find that he is using more parts of his body than
he was aware of.

Good luck!