[Tango-L] Krasimir, peralta vs gustavo

Krasimir Stoyanov krasimir at krasimir.com
Wed Jan 23 10:22:02 EST 2008

Quoting "Trini y Sean (PATangoS)" <patangos at yahoo.com>:

> And she's only been dancing/learning for about 2 months?
> Give her a break.  You try walking backwards all the time.
> I'd be more worried at 6 months.  Having one good day a
> week isn't bad for a beginner.

Yeah, you may be right. It is just my impatience to have good dancing.
I am really starving for it.

> Or else she's bored and you are not keeping her
> attention focused on you.  You can try using suspension,
> subtle movements, or varying your step size and timing to
> keep her focused on you.

I think it is the contrary, she is too focused. I do all kind of
subtle things, and she thinks her job is to "detect" them. That makes
her anxious she might miss to react accordingly. She does not seem to
get my words that the subtle things would happen to her without her
intervention, so she should be relaxed and not trying to feel them in
advance.

> If you want to teach her to anticipate less, then when she
> does go off on her own, let her go.  Loosen your embrace
> and just stand there.  Wait until she's done, as if saying
> "are you done, yet?".

Doesn't help. She quickly realizes the mistake, but it wouldn't stop
her from doing it again.

> It may mean that she stumbles or
> falls into a step.  Let her.  Otherwise, she's not going to
> figure out on her own that she anticipated.  From a
> follower's perspective, that's going to be a more effective
> learning tool than a guy who is constantly compensating for
> her.  As long as you're still dancing at her level or
> slightly above, it's fine.

This is difficult to me, I simply cannot lower my level - actually I
can, but it is boring to me. And I cannot hide it. Imagine what
happens when the lady detects I am bored? Real disaster :-).

And my believe is we should execute all the steps correctly (I am not
saying perfectly, just correctly) in order for her body to memorize
and automate the movements. But how can you automate something, if you
do it correctly say, 20% of the time? And 80% incorrectly? The right
habits are erased by the bad. Really weird stuff.

Actually, I know one working solution - she needs a good environment,
a bunch of good leaders to dance with. But, so far it's only me. There
is one leader I teach to, but he is not very serious, taking two
lessons a month is not enough I think.