[Tango-L] Peralta vs Gustavo -- is just art not science.

Amaury de Siqueira amaurycdsf at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 08:59:37 EST 2008

Here in this list as in other places (living rooms,
classrooms, pubs,
restaurants) and under the rubric of other topics
(mostly the fine arts and
sometimes politics and religion) argumentation is
subjective to one's
experiences and learning process.  Unlike exact
sciences dance is art and
therefore subjective to one's interpretation.

I will comment on this a little later.

The sad thing is to use dancers and their respective
efforts to achieve
excellence as a theme in a debasing exchange.  Lets
respect dancers for
achieving excellence through discipline and true
sacrifice.  Similarities
between their musical interpretation and our
preferences is secondary.

Having said that:

I can see both sides.  Gustavo at times seems to push
the envelope
introducing dynamic and unorthodox movements.
Beautifully executed, I
always enjoy viewing his dance.  I enjoy much less
observing less skilled
dancers in a crowded milonga trying to execute similar
moves with less
success.

Wasn't Copes also an agent of change when he
catapulted Argentine tango from
the social dance floor to the performance stage?

Fabian Peralta on the other hand execute a nice and
slow dance.  I also
enjoy watching his dance and btw I love Bahia Blanca
:-).  Both dancers are
excellent in what they do.  I am sure they can deliver
great performance in
either style.

Finally, I would like to ask the entire community of
dancers to show more
kindness and respect to the dance and each other.
This brief exchange (and
disagreement) underscores a lack of tolerance and
respect that is not
positive to those witnessing.

Best,
Amaury