[Tango-L] Learning Tango

Mario sopelote at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 21 21:05:22 EST 2008

Hi keith,
   I stand corrected, you are right, Chris seems to rule out all topics of teaching as valuable.
   I, on the other hand, have been often seduced by such topics as; musicality, axis, navigation..none of which ever produced anything valuable.
   I have, however, found Tango-L posts by Tom Stermitz (teacher) very illuminating...hmmm strange, huh?

  > I think that form, structure, rhythm, improvisation, and navigation are
> convenient parameters or concepts commonly used or referred to in
> teaching argentine dance.  These concepts are at odd with a student's own
> concept of the dance.

Indeed what goes by these words in classes are all to often just
fabrications; artifacts of the instructional model rather than aspects of
the dance itself.... Chris U.K.