[Tango-L] Learning Tango

Keith keith at tangohk.com
Mon Jan 21 01:15:31 EST 2008

Mario,

I believe your admiration for Chris' comments is misplaced. What Chris actually says, from what I understand, is that ALL group
classes, by definition, are bad and to be avoided - regardless of who the teacher is and whether he/she is good or bad. This is
despite the fact that Chris himself has attended goup classes by no less than 60 [yes, 60] different teachers. Chris has never
actually explained why he attended so many classes before he realised they were all useless - and I have asked before.

Chris does say that private lessons are OK, with the right teacher. OK, we all agree with that but who can possibly afford the
enormous expense of learning only by private tuition? And, btw, as someone who teaches private lessons, I certainly have no
vested interest in discouraging people from taking them.

What Chris actually appears to advocate is for students to learn only by dancing in the milongas. IMO, and I've seen the
results, this is a recipe for disaster. OK, pretty young girls will have no problem finding experienced leaders to teach them.
But, what about the other ladies and, more especially, what about the men? Chris has never explained how the men are
supposed to learn if they don't attend classes. Presumably - they learn from friends - disaster, IMO. And how do couples learn
to dance? Finally, don't we all know that teaching in the milongas is the ultimate in bad tango etiquette? Or do we really expect
newbies to go to practicas to learn? Never happen, IMO.

Chris, please correct me if I'm wrong with any of the above and, if so, please explain how you think newbies should learn to
dance Tango. I've asked you these questions before but you've never responded, other than with, usually, one-line comments
denigrating Tango teachers in general or personally - as in the case with Naveira.

List - sorry to raise this subject again but, IMHO, how to teach and learn Tango is probably the most important contribution
this list has to offer. I've certainly learned an enormous amount from the contributions of others but I think many are mislead
by comments such as those from Chris.

Oh, and Chris, if group classes with good teachers is OK, perhaps you could give us the benefit of your extensive experience
and let us know which of the teachers you've taken group classes with, are to be recommended. So far, on an individual basis,
all we know from you is that Gavito [new deceased] is good and Naveira is bad.

Chris, can I preempt you and ask you not to insult me by replying with a one-liner.

Apologies to the list if, again, some of you find my post too aggressive, unfriendly, obnoxious, arrogant etc. I'm not really
that way - it's just a writing style that I learned and am now struggling to correct.

Keith, HK

 On Mon Jan 21  9:17 , Mario  sent:

>Hi Chris,
>   I've gone to reading the Tango-L archives starting with 2006.  Reading your constant reminding of the list about how bad
teaching is something to avoid... is very refreshing. mario