[Tango-L] A True tango - Copes

Victor Bennetts Victor_Bennetts at infosys.com
Sun Jan 20 17:39:52 EST 2008

I don't have anything bad to say about Copes as a father of the modern tango, just teachers (and there are plenty of them) who still use his eight step basic to teach. Typically they don't tell students anything about connection, navigation or embrace, even though in many cases they know better, they just keep moving into more complex sequences in subsequent lessons. In many cases they also do not correct basic errors such as poor posture. Even if these things are mentioned they are soon forgotten as they are irrelevant to the learning process that is going on in lessons structured in this way. When you dance with someone from one of these teachers you think - wow - how can someone know so many steps and not be able to lead/follow a single one? Today there are better ways to teach tango and I would definitely call that progress.

Victor Bennetts