[Tango-L] The Top Six Tango Cities of the World?

Astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Sat Jan 19 22:33:49 EST 2008

Tokyo has quite a few milongas, among these 3-4 owned by Argentines, and the
rest by Japanese, so on some days there are several to choose from. The
number of dancers can be between 20 and 120, I guess. There are also some
special events in larger halls, with live music.
Many of the great names of tango have come here regularly or at least once
to teach, so I have a chance to take lessons and dance with Juan Carlos
Copes, Fabian Salas, Carlos Gavito, Jorge Torres, Oscar Mandagaran, Sergio
Cortazzo, Nito Garcia, Carlos Copello and others.
The level of dancing can be fairly high at times, anyway, a lot higher than
what I have seen in Berlin in most places, and Berlin is famous for tango.
Of course not always, and the Japanese may be better at technique than at
expressing emotion but still.
Argentine-Japanese couples have scored among the first five in the past two
mundials. Now we also have the Asian tango championships here with Argentine
judges.
Still, I feel limited tangowise sometimes because I do not attend milongas
run by Japanese.