[Tango-L] A True tango - Copes

Keith Elshaw keith at totango.net
Sat Jan 19 02:19:04 EST 2008

Context.

Copes is known for being the first person to choreograph tango for
professional dancers on stage.

!

You could say he invented the nuevo tango of his time (early 50's). He
gave Piazzolla (and so many other -performers and theatrical artists) jobs
and a place. (http://ToTANGO.net/copes.html)

This Cumparsita is his signature piece.

But it was created with his partner of 4 decades, Maria Nieves.

Like what he does or not personally in the context of the times; but no
one has achieved what he did. Neither Maria. They were the hub of the
tango industry. His ideas and image portrayals are now thought of as the
pure stuff of Argentine tango on stage. We are all his children. Their's.

True tango is to me the social dance. He never claimed to be doing that.