[Tango-L] Milonga 101 -- conversation between dances

Tango For Her tangopeer at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 17 20:00:08 EST 2008

> Trini wrote:
> The interesting question to me isn't whether using
> choreography is good or bad.  What interests me is
> why some teachers are able to use complex sequences
> successfully while others are not.  Comments?

Lets break it down.  Someone build on this and discard
anything that doesn't make sense ...

Some teachers teach complex patterns and :

A1. do it in such a way as to keep the attention of a
large number of leaders.
A2. don't do it in such a way as to keep the attention
of a large number of leaders.

B1. teach the choreo well.
B2. don't teach the choreo well.

C1. teach technique well.
C2. don't teach technique well.

( A and B really are different.)  I don't know what
combinations I am missing.  But, using logic (I am an
engineer), that's how I would approach the subject ...
expanding on those categories and being broadminded
about moving forward.  Anyway, the original question
was ...

why some teachers are able to use complex sequences
successfully while others are not.

I assume that you mean "successful at teaching
technique, form, etc.

Let me suggest that some teachers "are not" successful
at teaching technique because:

1. They are interested in keeping a large class.  And,
if they have a large class based on keeping the
leaders happy with fun, community, competition, etc.
Then, why should they try harder to teach technique?

I mean, if Joe, Sam, Tony, Bob, Eddy, Carl, Vivek,
Carlos, Antonio, and more, keep coming to class
because they think the women like them because they
get the pattern better than the next guy, for example,
then, why change your model?

I know of teachers who have trades with teachers in
other cities so that they can advertise each other and
teach in each other's cities.  This makes them
"nationally known teachers".  Oh, boy!  And, what are
they going to take on the road?  Probably their
interesting way of teaching choreo.  You can't argue
it.  We've all seen it!

My point is there's a great example of "nationally
known" teachers who are very well liked because people
learn "cool" patterns and have fun.  Are they teaching
technique?  Yes.  Are they really good at teaching
technique?  From what I've seen, not all of them.

=====

Here's another example:

I don't like to use teacher's names.  But, when one of
the most famous teachers/dancers in tango used to come
to town to teach workshops, some people would complain
and say that he was a really bad teacher.

That would always amaze me, because what I would see
is that he would turn his left foot out, or he would
place one of his feet, constantly, near his follower's
foot rather than being sloppy and placing it 10" away
one time or 2" away the next.

My point is that that teacher was teaching ME how to
keep his follower balanced.  I took those lessons into
MY classes.  I suppose other teachers memorized the
patterns and took those into THEIR classes.

We're all different.  That's why some people are plus
or minus on different scales.

Ugh!  I think I just wrote too much!