[Tango-L] Tango Co-op?

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 15 14:48:28 EST 2008

Hi buffmilonguera,

It’s sound as if you’re off to a good start.  However, I’d
be concerned about investing so much of your own financial
resources if your intent is to be a non-profit.  With your
current activities, I don’t see the advantage of being a
non-profit instead of a for-profit, unless you’re applying
for grants or gain a marketing advantage.  Grants can be an
excellent source of capital for you.

As for memberships, it seems to work very well for Tango
Colorado, the Univ. of Michigan, and other places.
However, there seemed to be issues with Boston.  I don't
know if they have been resolved, yet.  Membership does
gives voting rights and that may bring about new issues
you'll need to explore.

Trini de Pittsburgh

--- buffmilonguera at aol.com wrote:

> thanks Tom - I've already incorporated the Buffalo
> Artgentine Tango
> Society as a non-profit, and I regularly get 25-35 folks
> to the
> milongas I organize, 40-50 (not necessarily all tango
> dancers) for a
> gala "dress-up" events associated with visiting artists,
> and sell maybe
> 50 workshops when I bring someone in....(that doesn't
> mean 50 people,
> because any 1 person can take more than one workshop,
> etc.)

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/