[Tango-L] Tango Co-op?

buffmilonguera@aol.com buffmilonguera at aol.com
Tue Jan 15 13:03:09 EST 2008

thanks Tom - I've already incorporated the Buffalo Artgentine Tango
Society as a non-profit, and I regularly get 25-35 folks to the
milongas I organize, 40-50 (not necessarily all tango dancers) for a
gala "dress-up" events associated with visiting artists, and sell maybe
50 workshops when I bring someone in....(that doesn't mean 50 people,
because any 1 person can take more than one workshop, etc.)

I see BATS as a portal - sort of.  I organize a couple of milongas each
month - I advertise that they are free and open to the public, and I do
them at various bars, restaurants - this brings folks in.  Then they
get on my e-mail list, find out about new events, and so on and so on
:).  I have also successfully partnered with other non-profits by
providing entertainment and demonstrations.  Generally, we're just
there to dance, so it's really just a milonga to us...to the event's
attendees its great music, fun to watch and something they've never
seen before.   Sometimes, the visitng artists perform at these
fundraisers.  I had a great experience bringing two artists to a
performing arts high school here, and those kids really, REALLY took to
it!

Other than bringing folks from out of town in, BATS does not directly
work with any local teachers - or, more accurately, works with all of
them.  I do not (and will not) teach, and  I promote everyone's events.
  If there are teachers at my events (other than the monthly milongas),
I always offer them an opportunity to perform something - even folks
 from those "franchise" dance studios.  I also encourage teachers to
bring any brochures or flyers they want to, and announce up-coming
events.

So far, I have been fortunate in that I could personally absorb some of
the up-front costs of a weekend of workshops, etc., and then have those
costs reimbursed.  But my ability to do that is limited and if I want
to go to another level, I need working capital.  Also, so far I have
never been in the red - although a couple of times, I just broke even.
But I know it's coming - an inadvertant conflict with another event,
bad weather or burst pipes at the venue I've rented  - something is
bound to happen that will screw up my budget.....so having some working
capital for that too would be helpful....which is why I was interested
in what other communities do.

thanks everyone for your ideas and suggestions....
barbra

Have you joined the Buffalo Argentine Tango Society Yahoo! group yet?
It's easy, and the best way to make sure you know what we're doing and
what's going on with the Argentine tango in and around Buffalo......go
to www.yahoo.com > select Groups > search for Buffalo Argentine Tango
Society > follow the directions to join BATS_tango. Thanks!