[Tango-L] Gustavo Naveira

Ira Goldstein eyegee at twcny.rr.com
Mon Jan 14 21:49:15 EST 2008

Hello, all--

  I'm just a journeyman in the world of Argentine tango--and reluctant
to join in a fray--but having experienced a bit of Gustavo &
Giselle's dancing and teaching, it's hard to imagine that someone
might miss the heart connection, depth of feeling, brilliant
creativity and inherently profound musicality which they both exhibit
and share.

  That Gustavo has enlisted the light of intelligence to articulate a
structural vocabulary in the service of revealing intriguing
possibilities for a larger palette of expression in this dance that
we love so much hardly seems like a crime...

                   As for:

At 12:30 AM +0000 1/15/08, Chris, UK wrote:
>  > There is an interview with Gustavo Naveira in which he says it used to
>>  be about the music; now it's about the dance.
>
>I'm glad he's finally come out and stated his belief. It'll help people
>appreciate why his kind of teaching is so detrimental to those for whom
>the music is the foundation of the dance.
>
>>  He is missing the essence of tango.
>
>For me, his most revealing comment is:
>
>  At a certain moment, there arose the need to technically identify every
>  single thing done in dancing
>
>There arose that need in him, evidently. But goodness only knows where he
>got the notion that anyone else needs their rainbows unweaving...

          --this public, rudely judgemental taking-out-of-context
               and grasping for incriminating evidence
           sounds like the kind of fearful catechismic thinking
             that made so much trouble for Galileo.

--Ira
Ithaca, NY