[Tango-L] Milonga 101 -- conversation between dances

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Mon Jan 14 21:42:00 EST 2008

> Gustavo ... "What comes from only the head alone is worth nothing...
> only things that come from the heart have any value."

He gave an excellent exhibition of that at our milonga the other week. His
lesson consisted of prescribed sequences - the same giro, sacada, change
of direction type stuff we've seen countless times before - which the
students were to repeat these over and over, whether the music called for
it or not. This Gustavo interspersed with demos and lecturettes explaining
exactly why the guy's torso turned through this angle while the girl took
that number of steps etc.

I watched with dismay as the standard of dancing steadily deteriorated.
The struggle to get bodies at the required angles and feet in "the right
place" left no hope at all for anything that really mattered. In the hands
of even normally good leaders, the girls were suffering torture. Feeling
for partner? Feeling for the music? Feeling for the ronda? Not a chance in
hell. By the end of the lesson there wasn't a single couple left doing
anything one could remotely call dancing.

Where in all of that were the "things that come from the heart"?

I started the music with Malerba's Remembranzas. An hour later the ordeal
was largely forgotten and almost everyone was back to dancing.

--
Chris

PS Alfredo De Angelis "La Cumparsita":
  http://youtube.com/watch?v=jjPp6CZ2vVo (video 3m07s)