[Tango-L] Milonga 101 -- conversation between dances

Roger edgecombe_r at optusnet.com.au
Sat Jan 12 22:40:31 EST 2008

Janis Kenyon wrote:
> <snip>
>

> Tangos are three minutes long, and yet conversation between dances continues
> for most of the tango.  There are some who continue talking requiring others
> to dance around them.  There are some who continue talking while dancing.
> It keeps getting worse and worse in Buenos Aires.
>
> <snip>

Not just in Buenos Aires either. Ad Melbourne, Australia to the list.

I had always assumed that the delay between start of music and start of
dancing was to listen to the music, determine its character, then dance
to fit the music. That made sense with live music.
When it is a CD that you danced to last week, and the week before, and
listened to in the car .. it seems to me that no longer makes any sense,
My feeling is that if you have something that is SO important to talk
about, get off the floor and do it.  Floor is for dancing. Tables and
chairs, over there, off the floor, is for talking.

I have a (possibly uncharitable) feeling that the whole delay thing is
an affectation. "The longer I talk, the more  'authentic' it makes me look."

rde