[Tango-L] 'Milonga is a guy thing?'

Tango For Her tangopeer at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 12 13:51:03 EST 2008

Milonga:

I don't really care about the official definitions of
correct vs not correct when I am dancing.  However, in
discussion I like to learn about it.

Going to the cross:
I don't do it a lot.  But, when I do, it is in double
time.  It also feels good to lead a fake step with her
right foot right after the cross.

Turns:
I like doing the waltz turn in double time.  I was
originally taught that turns should be done in double
time.  Although, I don't see many people doing this.
It feels great!  And my followers love it!

Boleos:
Again, I was taught not to lead boleos.  However, a
short, sharp boleo, sometimes followed by a pause, yes
a pause, is FUN!

Pauses:
Yes, I do pauses.  If used very sparingly, again, it's
fun.

Tortion moves:
I am on my right foot, she is on her left.  I lead the
beginning of a back ocho for both of us and return to
facing each other, again.  Do it three times!  It
looks great and feels even better!

Fast tango:
Yes, I know.  I am describing fast tango.  But,
sprinkled in?  Mmmm, mmm, mmmm.

I have a bad left foot.  (All those plantar fasciitis
posts were for me.)  So, I admit that I do some of the
things I just described to remain on my right foot for
a couple of beats.  Aaaaahhhhhh. My partner (in my
opinion) is the best dancer around and she still
prefers to do the milonga with me.  So, there must be
something fun about all that fast tango mixed in!  She
comments that I am very exact.  So, make sure you're
really feeling the milonga beat if you do these!  For
example, a quick boleo should have a sharp ending.
Eso!