[Tango-L] tango schizophreniza

Jennifer Walls tangogal95 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 10 20:41:29 EST 2008

Trini asks " have either of you ever danced with a
guy who only learned tango by just dancing?   With
old Argentine guys who have danced for years.  It's
not so
fun.  The ones I have enjoyed took lessons or went to
practicas with other guys."

Trini, have you ever been to Argentina?  Have you had
experience in the true milongas of Buenos Aires?  I
have been to BA twice in the last year, and I
immensely enjoyed dancing with the milongeros, and
mostly the older ones.  However, the quesiton of how
they learned to dance never  came up.  How would one
even know  who they took lessons from, when and if
ever?  what kind of conversation is that on the
dancefloor?

 Your comment of   "I have. It's not so fun" is
condescending to the  dancers in argentina.   Everyone
has to learn somewhere.  I don't see how anyone can
just pop into a milonga and start dance.  So these
guys you say never took lessons, in my opinion, had to
learn something somewhere, whether by their  parents
or friends, watching and listening to the music,
sometimes all their lives .  They just might not have
had  "tango lessons" that we americans have to take to
learn.  Also, in my opinion, there is a reason the
portenos dance the way they do.  I do not know if it
is inborn or what, but it is different and amazing.