[Tango-L] tango/milonga/tango

Crrtango@aol.com Crrtango at aol.com
Thu Jan 10 15:28:48 EST 2008

ming_mar wrote:

<<<If you're referring to track 19 of "Tangos de los
Angels vol. 1" on the Tango Argentino label, then
there's no slash (virgule) between the words "tango"
and "milonga."

Actually I was referring to the Bandoneon label issue but you are correct
about the slash being absent.

<<<In English, tango milonga means dance-party tango.
This is to differentiate it from tango cancione, which
means song tango.>>>

I Speak spanish so I am aware of the translation but perhaps I extrapolated
from the two words together. Nonetheless, he plays it with a distinct milonga
rhythm, not a tango rhythm, and the song appears other places listed as only a
tango. However, many other tangos with lyrics are not described as a tango
cancion (no "e") but just as a tango, so that was not a consistent practice. I
own original sheet music by Edgardo Donato, Tanturi and others where the tangos
are described as tango cancion, tango criollo, or just tango (with or without
lyrics) and there doesn't seem to be any indication as to whether they are for
dancing or not, if that is your point. There are many tangos that are
considered tangos for listening as opposed to tangos for dancing but they are not
labeled as "tango para escuchar" (for listening), even though they are never
played at milongas.

I've never seen old sheet music with a slash between
the words "tango" and "milonga."  If you have seen a
picture of this on the web, please post a URL so that
I can see it.

I stand corrected on that but my point was more that the lines were probably
not as clearly drawn between the two in the early days.

Cheers,
Charles