[Tango-L] Popularity of Milonga (the dance)

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 10 21:57:33 EST 2008

--- Carol Shepherd <arborlaw at comcast.net> wrote:
> I originally learned milonga as a quickly moving and
> sassy dance that
> travels over the floor.  In close embrace the traspie and
> other rhythmic
> 'stops' and small shuffles are interesting, but feel
> deliberately
> constrained for such a sweeping musical phrase.

Hi Carol,

I think you're referring to milonga liso, which has those
longer steps.  I learned that first, as well, but I now
prefer milonga traspie.  Anyway, there are different types
of milonga music that call for different types of dancing.
I would describe the music for milonga liso as
one-step-per-beat, whereas music for milonga traspie has a
stronger habanera-like rhythm.

Ever try leading milonga traspie and it just doesn't work?
Probably because the music is more suited to milonga liso.
That might also give you a feeling of being constrained.
I'm sure more knowledgeable folks on this list can
elaborate more on the music.

Oh, and I agree with Lois and Buffmilonguera that women
tend to love milonga and enjoy working on it.  The guys
tend to be afraid of it and work on their milonga with less
enthusiam.  Sean thinks that's because women may negatively
compare a beginning man's milonga to his tango.  Thus,
inexperienced men will sit out milonga tandas and wait for
tangos.

Happy Milongas,
Trini de Pittsburgh

P.S. Ney Melo (with Jennifer Bratt), who will be in Ann
Arbor next weekend, teaches an excellent class in milonga
in which he uses traspie to accent the really fast parts of
a milonga.  It really changed how I heard the phrasing of
music.

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/