[Tango-L] Popularity of Milonga (the dance)

Carol Shepherd arborlaw at comcast.net
Thu Jan 10 14:47:27 EST 2008

YAMP (yet another milonga post)

Just as there are several flavors of tango there are several flavors of
milonga (my experience is US).

I originally learned milonga as a quickly moving and sassy dance that
travels over the floor.  In close embrace the traspie and other rhythmic
'stops' and small shuffles are interesting, but feel deliberately
constrained for such a sweeping musical phrase.  I don't know any other
type of modern-day social dance similar to this more open and traveling
type of milonga, which is one of the reasons I really love it.
(Quickstep and viennese come to mind but are smooth style).  American
samba travels similarly to a bouncy beat, but of course is extremely
different in moves, mood, music, etc and not as compelling.

The moods of tango and milonga music are of course very different. I
like the tango for the tango and I like the milonga for the milonga.
But the type of milonga I originally learned is probably my favorite of
all dance styles, bar none -- so I also wish there were more milonga at
a milonga.  I get tired of tango-tango-tango-tango.

I can dance salsa or lindy hop for hours so to me there seems to be
comparatively very little exertion at a typical milonga; I frequently
get cold between dances and have to dress much more warmly.

--
Carol Ruth Shepherd
Arborlaw PLC