[Tango-L] Gender Imbalance/Advertising for men

'Mash mashdot at toshine.net
Mon Jan 7 05:46:06 EST 2008

> > Astrid wrote:
> >>
> >> On the other hand, Randy, for those few men who show up, attracted to
> >> ttango
> >> for all the wrong reasons, a few of the women might stop coming. Have you
> >> thought about that?
> >>
> Roger:
> > I must say I am in agreement with Astrid on this - I can't see anything
> > very positive in trawling the locker rooms, bars, dives, etc. (I may
> > have misquoted the suggested locales here - but that is the image it
> > conjured) for potential tangueros.
> >
> > I mentioned the suggestion to my wife, who said "They'd be better
> > advised to advertise in IT departments, and mathematics departments",
> > because in her experience those disciplines have yielded better than
> > average tangueros.

I almost feel this thread topic should be changed to "pimp my tango" :)

I think most people and the sort of people that would stick with Tango and enjoy it are those who come because they are searching. From what my teachers tell me their beginners crash course this last weekend was a great success. People come to Tango for various reasons, and I not sure how advertising it in a smiliar vein to "speed dating nights" would be a good thing.

I suppose the main thing is exposure. As Tango productions hit cities you always see a growth in numbers. Maybe more local production groups need to be created and put on year long shows. I think people don't want to dance tango as they have no idea what tango is. Everyone STILL thinks it is the dance with a rose between your teeth!

'Mash
London,UK