[Tango-L] tango schizophrenia

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 6 13:25:49 EST 2008

--- "Nussbaum, Martin" <mnussbau at law.nyc.gov> wrote:

> I am severely afflicted with split personality. I want to
> dance Disarli like Gustavo, Darienzo like Chicho,
Piazzola and alternative music like Sebastian, Pugliese
like Osvaldo,  Vals like Julio, and Milonga like
> Javier.   Help!!  Is anyone ever anything but a mixed
> soup of those artists they admire most? How do you break
free ?

Or perhaps Gustave, Chico, Sebastian, et al are dancing
like you. :)

I'm glad that my original post wasn't accepted by the
moderator (I had left your entire message intact) because
it allowed me to change my post.  Perhaps, Martin, you've
already developed your own style but are not aware of it.
I'd suggest checking in with your regular dance partners.
I bet they can sense your personal signature in all of
those dances.

There have been lots of times when I've danced with a man
and think "Aha!  He's been studying with so-and-so
recently.  This move feels just like so-and-so."  Over time
that flashback disappears and that same move changes to
suit the man, rather than the other way around.  Come to
think of it, my own male students all have different
signatures even though they go through the same training
with me, have the same dance partners, attend the same
workshops, and are all trained to lead the way I like to be
led.

Obviously, you're finding different things to like in each
of those dancers for different reasons.  I'd suggest
continuing to explore those specific things.  Is having one
particular attribute necessarily exclusive of having
another?  Perhaps one attribute becomes more appealing than
the other and you can start focusing on what's more
important to you.  Sometimes, certain physical realities
can bring about some focus, as well.

So, don't worry too much, and enjoy the process.

Trini de Pittsburgh

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/