[Tango-L] Gender imbalance, tips for female followers

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 5 13:56:10 EST 2008

--- Keith <keith at tangohk.com> wrote:

... I don't spend my time looking only for women who are
great dancers; ... I dance with women I like. I like the
way they dance, the way they behave, the way they treat
people; I like their personality. I just like them as
people, so I want to dance with them.

---

Sean here.

I have to agree with Keith once again. At least everything
quoted above. I think women who would like to get more
dances would do better to pay attention to the above,
rather than attempting the various strategies that have
been bandied about on the list.

In a milonga with 30 men and 50 women, it could be possible
that each woman would be dancing 60% of the time. But it
never works out that way, or no one would be complaining.
What more likely happens is that half the women dance as
much as they like, and the other half fight for scraps.
Rather than complain, scheme and try to manipulate the men,
I think women who don't get to dance would be a lot better
off figuring out what it would take to join the group of
women who do get to dance. There are many clues in Keith's
post.

I have met many women who complain that men only want to
dance with the young pretty girls, and they waste their
energy at the milonga counting the number of dances those
10% or so girls get. They ignor the other 40% of "regular"
women who get to dance too. Forget about making excuses, or
blaming others. Pay attention to what is really going on,
and you will discover that there are things any woman can
do to get more dances. But each woman has to do this for
herself. It is not a problem that men or organizers can or
should solve.

Sean

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/