[Tango-L] rhythm breaks

Crrtango@aol.com Crrtango at aol.com
Fri Jan 4 12:47:12 EST 2008

tangopeer wrote:

<<- The milonga runs from 9 pm til 12:30 am.
- At 11 pm, a milonga tanda is played
  followed by a latin rhythm break.
- At 11 pm, a lot of dancers get up to leave.>>

I am surprised they waited that long before leaving. What a weird way to
space out the songs. No milongas for two hours!? Do they at least play any
waltzes?

<<- Is a rhythm break needed at a 3 1/2 hour milonga?

- Is the combination of a milonga tanda with a rhythm
break appropriate at a 3 1/2 hour milonga?>>

Nothing wrong with a rhythm break, but why include the milongas with it? Not
only is that overkill for the rhythm break but implies that the milongas are
different from the other tangos. It is still tango. The rhythm break should be
different music, not mixed with more tangos. Sounds like the rhythm break is
chasing them away and I can't blame them for leaving. I think they should get
another DJ. (I am not being facetious.) I realize every community is different,
but people here in NYC would probably leave even before the rhythm break.

Thanks for warning us.

Cheers,
Charles