[Tango-L] Rhythm breaks at 3 1/2 hour milongas

Tango For Her tangopeer at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 4 12:04:50 EST 2008

I have noticed the following at a particular milonga:

- The milonga runs from 9 pm til 12:30 am.
- At 11 pm, a milonga tanda is played
  followed by a latin rhythm break.
- At 11 pm, a lot of dancers get up to leave.

Many followers don't dance latin dances.

Many followers are less likely to be asked to dance a
milonga.

Many followers have a lengthy trip home.

With that combination, many followers start leaving at
11 pm.

The length of time for a milonga tanda plus a rhythm
break is long enough that the milonga significantly
clears out!

Some people who like the latin dances say the
side-effect is insignificant.

I am usually eyeing followers that I want to catch
before the end of the night and, puff, they're gone.

I am not looking for responses that blame the
followers who leave early!

Thoughts?

- Is a rhythm break needed at a 3 1/2 hour milonga?

- Is the combination of a milonga tanda with a rhythm
break appropriate at a 3 1/2 hour milonga?

Again, I pose these questions given that a great
number of people do leave at this time.  I am not
arguing to stop the rhythm breaks, just to illuminate
what happens.