[Tango-L] Leaving the floor

buffmilonguera@aol.com buffmilonguera at aol.com
Wed Jan 2 15:43:35 EST 2008

Some of the djs in the United States have begun reducing the length of
tandas to three songs to promote/enable more rotation between partners.
I'm interested in opinions about the desirablity of such an approach.

that's where it is heading  in Buffalo - I also "play out" the cortina
if I notice that a large number of dancers are new, esp. if I know that
they are already salsa, swing, etc. dancers.  I understand that, to
some, it's heretical, but between tandas I play one song that seems
appropriate to this group of dancers.   We are still a growing
community looking for new dancers, so I don't want someone to come to
try it and then go home thinking "all I did was watch."  I would much
rather they went home saying, "I watched a lot before I tried it - and
I had a great time because there were a couple of songs I knew."  Some
of the tango dancers don't like it - and some like the chance to do
some other dances they know.

In other communities I have noticed that an entire tanda of salsa is
played later in the evening and everyone seems to enjoy that -