[Tango-L] Gender Imbalance

Tango For Her tangopeer at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 3 14:18:15 EST 2008

I don't know of a solution to the problem of women
sitting out for most of the night.  I am aware of it
and try to accomodate.  But, I think leaders are
selecting with such criteria as:

Followers with/to whom they:

- like to dance
- are closer friends
- study
- teach
- are attracted
- can make them better if they dance with them
- etc

Given a long list, everyone has a different agenda.

For example, I have seen leaders who rise to being one
of the best dancers in the community and, in the
process, they only dance with followers who can make
them better.  I don't believe in finding good or bad
in that.  It is what it is.  My point is that there
are many reasons why leaders just don't dance with a
large variety of followers.

I notice extremely good followers who, for one reason
or another, sit a lot.  That always amazes me.  But,
everyone is different, everyone has their lists, and
it is what it is, I guess.

My question is, organizing your thoughts like this, is
there any way to approach the problem?

A side note:  Does anyone know of any wording of ads
that attract men to the dance?  I, once, ran an ad
that read something like "Women can dance!  So, we
teach the men to treat them right!".  My phone rang
off the hook.  Guess who called!  Wives who wanted to
bring their husbands!  Any ideas to attract more men?